Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Day For The History Books.....Ashley Deserves This One.


Yesterday, while watching the Inauguration of President Obama, got me thinking. What an awesome day in history this is. I used to pass this off and not really think about it until I noticed Ashley really paying attention. A peace came over her as she watched Barack Obama become President of the United States. It didn't really dawn on me and then reality hit. Here is a girl who has sat as the only black child in a class of white children while they learned of slavery. While they did reports on the Civil War. While they discussed Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King. I think in her mind she thought if it could happen to them it could happen again to me. I think a lot of African Americans feared this could come...maybe. I didn't really understand the significance of the day until yesterday. That having an African American president has changed fear into hope for some Americans.

3 comments:

  1. I do believe that you have got it right. I hope that racism is a thing of the past. It sure would be a much nicer world to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always so nice to see things through Ashley's eyes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good mother to Ashley. She's lucky to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete